Cropper does not save any settings

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Just installed (and later reinstalled) cropper on an XP machine. Great little program but every time I start it, the settings I have set, such as output format and hiding Cropper after a capture as part of the Options settings, are not there. Does not matter if Windows restarts or I simply exit Cropper and then restart it. So, a bit of a chore to set the output format and hide on capture every time I start the program. I notice many comments referring to a cropper.config file. Well, it does not exist anywhere on my machine. I did a file search just to be sure when I could not find it under the cropper directory. So, that may explain why I don't get settings saved. How do I get this file installed? Cropper is not creating it when the program is installed.

On another note it would be nice if the capture shortcut key could be changed to something different than F8. I use F8 for single-step debugging in Visual Studio so this is one reason why I have to exit Cropper so much as I need F8 for debugging my dot net applications.

Developer
Nov 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Do you have any plugins installed? What are your output options?

The configuration file should be located under your user directory (for Windows XP this would typically be C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Cropper\cropper.config).

There is an existing item to deal with allowing the user to select the capture key.

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Yes, I installed some plugins. Should I try and remove them?  My output is for jpeg at 100%.

Thanks, I did now find the config file

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Can you remove the plugins and see if your output option is saved properly?

If it works I'll want to know what plugins you removed.

If it doesn't try moving the config file so Cropper will create a new one, I'll want a copy of the 'bad' config file.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I could find no way (under Windows) to remove a specific plug in. I decided to completely uninstall Cropper and then install a new copy without adding any extra plugins. Once I ran the new install I noticed that there were two plugins added by dafault - Clipboard Format and JPEG Format.

My prior installation also had 2 plugins that I added after the Cropper install - Send To E-Mail [Jon Gallowy] and Send To Amazon [paltman.com]. I did not add those plugins back this time around.

This time, I was able to have all my settings changes saved in the config file. The program is working perfectly (and I'll have to wait on the F8 shortcut key fix).

I noticed an option during install, by the way, whether to make the install of Cropper for the current logged on user or any user of the PC. I selected "Any User", which was not the default. I cannot honestly remember if I had changed the default during my first install where I had saving issues. I am thinking I may have left that option alone. So, that may or may not have been a factor.

So it could be the clean install without those two extra plugins or it could be changing the default for who can run the program during the install.

Developer
Nov 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Thanks for trying it out. I'll play around with the installation setting and the two Send To plugins you mentioned.

Developer
Dec 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM
Edited Dec 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Just to follow up, it looks like it is a problem with the Send To Amazon plugin. I'm working with the plugin project to resolve the issue and will report back to this thread when appropriate.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I've updated the Send-to-S3 plugin, and a bunch of other plugins in the cropperplugins project.  Many of them didn't follow the IConfigurablePlugin interface, or didn't follow it correctly.  I believe those problems are corrected now.

To get the fixed plugins, download the v1.3 release from http://CropperPlugins.codeplex.com