This project is read-only.

Option to capture the mouse cursor. Any interest?

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:14 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if there has been any interest in adding an option to also allow to capture the mouse cursor along with the screenshot. Some coworkers of mine are dying to get this functionality in order to enhance their documentation screenshots and presentations. I'm thinking of adding that feature to Cropper (since I have done it before elsewhere) but I'm not sure if there would be interest in adopting it for the main codebase.

Also, are SVN patches acceptable nowadays?

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Personally, I prefer SVN patches.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Regarding having the mouse cursor being captured - I'd say it would be of use.  Even better would be the ability to capture tool-tips that are visable when a mouse is hovering over a certain item.

Regards,
Tom Watson

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM
I'll look into it tonight while I work on the mouse pointer.

---------
Enrique Ramirez
Software Developer

On Jan 18, 2010, at 5:42 AM, "Tom_Watson" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Regarding having the mouse cursor being captured - I'd say it would be of use.  Even better would be the ability to capture tool-tips that are visable when a mouse is hovering over a certain item.

Regards,
Tom Watson

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Hi Tom,

I was looking into the idea of being able to capture tool-tips. The way Cropper is designed to capture regions makes it hard to capture the tooltips. What happens is that Cropper needs to hide it's capture window so that it doesnt show up in the capture. When this happens, Windows erases the tool-tip. One way to work around this would be to either take a regular capture (pressing the Print Screen key) and then the user crops the excess by hand (in another application). This somewhat defeats the purpose of having an application like Cropper, for sure. Maybe we could try adding an additional mode that hides the capture window first and then captures the region when the user is ready (via a key press).

In order to work on something like this I'd like to get some feedback from the project admins to see their take on the matter. I'd be more than happy to work on the issue once we can come with a reasonable solution to the issue.

(BTW, just submitted a patch for the mouse pointer. Let's hope it gets applied.)

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I had a funny feeling capturing the tool-tips would be quite difficult.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:08 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I used the countdown timer to capture those sorts of things.

Cropper hides itself when the timer starts, then snaps the picture 5 or 10 seconds later. 
By that  time I can set up the display to show the tooltip I want.

works great.